Deadline: January 15th, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW2 – your HOL name” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW2 – Prof Rachel Selenia”). Remember to include your HOL name and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. What is so special about Mimir’s Well?
2. Who guards Mimir’s Well?
3. How many norns sit by the Well of Urd?
4. Why did Odin hang from the tree Yggdrasil for nine nights and days?
5. What did Odin transform into to escape with Suttung’s mead?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. In Jotunheim, beneath the root of _________, lies ______ Well.
2. Odin payed for __________ by sacrificing one of his ____.
3. In pre-Christian times _____ were used as letters as well as in _______ _______.
4. The wise man ______ was created from the ____ of the Aesir and the Vanir.
5. The drops of mead that dripped into Midgard are said to be the source of all ___ poets and scholars.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Forum and join this month’s discussion! The topic for October is Odin. What do you think about him? Did you research him after reading this month’s lesson? What do you think of his search for wisdom?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Word Search (1 point each – total 10 points)
Odin was referred to by more than 200 names. In the word search below are ten of them. Solve it, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of one of the myths retold in this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Creative Writing (15 points)
Imagine you are Odin! Write a journal entry about a day in your (Odin’s) life.
Please write at least 100 words for full points.
Short Research (5 points)
Research Odin! I would like you to tell me:
where he lives
3-5 of his family members
2-3 animals he’s associated with
one or two special skills
Research Another Myth (15 points)
Please research and tell me about Valhalla, einherjar and the valkyries. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.