Deadline: October 31st, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW2 – your HOL ID” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW2 – pr_rch”). Remember to include your HOL name, ID and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. Where lies Mimir’s Well?
2. What did Odin have to pay for the wisdom of the water from Mimir’s Well?
3. Who sit by the Well of Urd?
4. Who killed Kvasir?
5. Who did Odin work for to get some of Suttung’s mead?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. The water of this ____ contains lots of wisdom, and ________ it gives you part of that wisdom.
2. After the ___ between the Aesir and the Vanir there was an exchange of ________.
3. In pre-Christian times _____ were not only used as letters. They also had a more mystical meaning and were used in _______________.
4. With the help of runes, ____ could _____________ and speak to them, avoid being bound or hurt by any weapon, or be affected by any magic wielded by someone else.
5. ______ turned out to be so ____ that there was no question he couldn’t answer.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Discussion area and join this month’s discussion! The topic for October is Odin. What do you think about him? Did you research him after reading this month’s lesson? What do you think of his search for wisdom?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Word Search (1 point each – total 10 points)
Odin was referred to by more than 200 names. In the word search below are ten of them. Solve it, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Word Scramble (1 point each – total 15 points)
Unscramble the following words. All words can be found in this month’s lesson.
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of one of the myths retold in this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Short Research (5 points)
Research Odin! I would like you to tell me:
where he lives
3-5 of his family members
2-3 animals he’s associated with
one or two special skills
Research Another Myth (15 points)
Please research and tell me about Valhalla, einherjar and the valkyries. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.