Deadline: January 20th, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW4 – your HOL name” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW4 – Prof Rachel Selenia”). Remember to include your HOL name and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. What did Loki do to Sif’s golden hair?
2. Who created the ship Skidbladnir?
3. Who created the golden ring Draupnir?
4. Who was given the spear Gungnir?
5. What reward did Brokk and Sindri want for winning Loki’s bet?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. ______ was the fairest and the _______ of all the gods, well-liked by everyone.
2. Baldur _________ stood in front of them and let them attack him with bow and arrow, _____, axe or stones.
3. Loki was envious of the _____ shown to Baldur by the other gods, so he transformed himself into a _____ and talked to Frigg.
4. Loki offered to help him aim, gave him a bow and put an _____ made from the _________ sapling on the string.
5. When Hermod reached the ___________, Hel told him that the gods would get Baldur back if every thing and creature, living or dead, would ___ for him.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Discussion area and join this month’s discussion! The topic for December is Loki. What do you think about him? Did you research him after reading this month’s lesson? What do you think of all his quarrelling and upsetting the other gods, and all his “practical jokes” which are usually pretty evil?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Number Block Puzzle (10 points)
Loki is the trickster god, so I thought I’d let you try a very tricky puzzle! Using the numbers 0-9, fill in the blank squares. Every row and column should add up to the totals to the right and below. The two long diagonals should also add up to the totals in the corners. Numbers can be used more than once in the same row/column! Upload the solution to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of one of the myths retold in this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Short Research (5 points)
Research Loki! I would like you to tell me:
which race he actually is
3-5 of his family members
1-2 items he’s associated with
one or two special skills
Research Another Myth (15 points)
Please research and tell me about when the gods asked a giant to build the wall around Asgard, and Loki came to the rescue. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.