Deadline: June 15th, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW8 – your HOL name” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW8 – Prof Rachel Selenia”). Remember to include your HOL name and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. Who were the three sons of Hreidmar?
2. In what shape was Otr when he was killed?
3. What’s the name of the dwarf Loki captured?
4. What sort of jewellery did the dwarf try to keep?
5. What was special about that piece of jewellery, and what did the dwarf do to it?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. Without hesitation, ______ and _____ killed their father to get their hands on the gold.
2. Fafnir took his treasure and moved to _________ where he transformed into a snake or a ______.
3. Regin became a king’s __________, and the foster parent of ______ son of Sigmund.
4. The man adviced Sigurd to dig several pits, to avoid drowning in the _____ from the _____ dragon.
5. Sigurd became very famous for _______ Fafnir, and was given the surname ___________.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Discussion area and join this month’s discussion! The topic for April is the myth about Sigurd Fafnirsbane. What are your general thoughts about it? Were you surprised or not that Loki was involved yet again? Does this myth remind you of any other stories?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Criss Cross (10 points)
Below is a criss cross puzzle about famous dragons. Upload the solution to an image hosting website and send me the link.
2. A blue female dragon in Alagaesia.
3. A Pokémon dragon.
6. The dragon from “The Brothers Lionheart”.
8. One of Daenery’s dragons.
9. The first of the dragons in Middle-earth.
10. Hagrid’s dragon.
1. The eldest dragon in Earthsea.
4. Dragon from the movie “Dragonheart”.
5. Dragon living in the Lonely Mountain (Erebor).
7. The Japanese dragon god of the sea.
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of something from the myth retold in this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Creative Writing (15 points)
Imagine that you are a dragon guarding a treasure. Write about one or a couple of events happening while you guard it. (Please write at least 100 words for full points.)
Short Research (5 points)
Research some other Norse heroes and heroines! I would like you to tell me:
who is the hero in the tales of Hrolf Kraki (his name means ‘Warlike Little-Bear’)?
who was a famous sea-king, brother of Haki and son of Hamund?
who was the daughter of Sigurd and Gudrun, “the most beautiful of all women”, and killed by her husband?
Research Another Myth (15 points)
In the Volsunga saga we can read about Sigurd’s father Sigmund. Research and retell the story about him. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.