Deadline: June 15th, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW9 – your HOL name” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW9 – Prof Rachel Selenia”). Remember to include your HOL name and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. Where do Odin take dead heroes?
2. How many doors does that place have?
3. What’s the name of Freya’s home where she brings her part of the dead?
4. Who is the goddess of the death realm?
5. What’s the name of the watchdog of the death goddess?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. The _________ are fierce women, clad in shining _____, who can ride through air and across water.
2. Odin gathers all the best warriors in ________ to create a powerful army for Ragnarok, and these dead warriors are called _________.
3. The boar ________ is slaughtered and its meat cooked every day, and the meat is always enough for ________ to eat as much as they want.
4. If you die of illness or old age, you will end up in _______ – the realm of the death goddess ___.
5. There is constant ______ in Helheim and ______ is the most common feeling among the guests in Hel’s halls.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Discussion area and join this month’s discussion! The topic for May is death in Norse Mythology. What are your general thoughts about the different places you can be taken when you’re dead? Were you surprised at the number of them, or how different they are? How do you think these myths influenced how people lived their lives during this time in history?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Matching (1 point each – total 10 points)
Match 1-10 with A-C (A-C can be used more than once).
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of something from this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Short Research (5 points)
Please tell me the etymological connection between Hel/Helheim and the word ‘hell’, in several nordic languages ‘helvete’.
Research Another Myth (15 points)
In the lesson we read about valkyries and einherjar. There are other beings mentioned in Norse Mythology, and I would like you to research the fylgjur (fylgja in singular). For half the points, tell me what a fylgja is and its part in the mythology. For the full points, find and retell a specific myth or story involving a fylgja. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.