Deadline: June 15th, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW10 – your HOL ID” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW10 – pr_rch”). Remember to include your HOL name, ID and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. What’s the name of the end of the world in Norse Mythology?
2. Which two worlds will be untouched by the battle?
3. What’s the name for “the mighty winter” that will be the start of the end of the world?
4. Who will lead the army from Muspelheim?
5. Who is the guardian of the bridge Bifrost?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. The gods and humans are ______ – except for a select few who will _______ and pass on their traditions in the new world.
2. The big ______ chasing the sun and the moon will finally catch their prey and the world will be covered in ________.
3. The ___________ will break free from its fetters and the _______________ will leave the sea and crawl up onto land.
4. At the end of the battle, ____ will be the winner. He will put the ___________ on fire, and when there is nothing more on earth or in heaven that can burn, everything will turn dark when the seas overflow.
5. All new generations of humans will be descendants of __________ and ___.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Discussion area and join this month’s discussion! The topic for June is, well, the end of the world. What are your thoughts about Ragnarok? Do you think it’s weird that gods are mortal, and that so many of them will die at the end of the world? Do you know of any other mythologies that are similar to the Norse Mythology in the way that life follows death?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Class Survey (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. What did you think about the lessons? (length, content, etc.)
2. What did you think about the homework? (homework choices, difficulty, etc.)
3. What did you like the most about this class?
4. Is there anything you think could do with some improvement?
5. Would you recommend this class to anyone else?
Word Scramble (1 point each – total 15 points)
Unscramble the following words. All words can be found in this month’s lesson.
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of something from this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Short Research (5 points)
Please tell me:
1. the name of Heimdall’s horn
2. another name for the Midgard serpent
3. the name of the ship that sails from Helheim when Ragnarok begins
4. the names of the wolves chasing the sun and the moon
Research Another Myth (15 points)
Norse Mythology isn’t the only mythology with an End of the World myth. Research another End of the World myth and retell it in your own words. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.