Deadline: January 15th, midnight HOL time
Please send your homework to email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Norse Myths – HW3 – your HOL name” (for me that would be “Norse Myths – HW3 – Prof Rachel Selenia”). Remember to include your HOL name and House in the main body of your e-mail. Don’t send attachments – they will not be opened!
Pick and choose from the following tasks. The first 30 points worth you hand in will be counted as Homework, the rest will be counted as Extra Credit, with a total maximum of 60 points for this month’s assignment.
Short Answers (2 points each – total 10 points)
1. What’s the name of Hrungnir’s horse?
2. Why was Thor upset when he saw Hrungnir in Valhalla?
3. What did Hrungnir prepare before the duel?
4. Who won the duel, Thor or Hrungnir?
5. Who got Hrungnir’s horse in the end?
Fill in the Blank (1 point each – total 10 points)
1. Thor and Loki travelled in Thor’s _______, pulled by two goats, and stayed one night at a peasant’s ____.
2. One day they met a _____ called _______ who agreed to show them part of the way to Utgard-Loki’s castle.
3. Before they were allowed to enter his castle, Utgard-Loki wanted them all to compete at ______ to prove themselves ______ of entering the castle.
4. The third contest was a _________ contest against an old woman who was Utgard-Loki’s nurse Elli. After a hard fight, Thor ____.
5. Utgard-Loki didn’t play ____ because he had realized these guests were too strong and ________ to be let inside his castle, and he asked them to never visit him again.
Class Discussion (10 points)
Go to the Class Discussion area and join this month’s discussion! The topic for November is Thor. What do you think about him? Did you research him after reading this month’s lesson? What do you think of all his fighting the giants and competing all the time?
Jigsaw (10 points)
Solve the jigsaw puzzle below, take a screen cap of your solution, upload the image to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Maze (10 points)
Thor is often travelling to find giants to fight. Find your way through the maze to the giant in the middle. Upload the solution to an image hosting website and send me the link.
Art (15 points)
Draw, paint or create a graphic of one of the myths retold in this month’s lesson. Upload your image to an image hosting site and send me the link.
Creative Writing (15 points)
Imagine you are Thor! Write a journal entry about a day in your (Thor’s) life.
Please write at least 100 words for full points.
Short Research (5 points)
Research Thor! I would like you to tell me:
where he lives
3-5 of his family members
2-3 animals or items he’s associated with
one or two special skills or godly tasks
Research Another Myth (15 points)
Please research and tell me how Thor came into owning his hammer Mjolnir. Remember to include links to your sources. Minus 1 point if links to sources are missing.